Tuesday, June 24, 2008

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS – LITERALLY.

I’ve been eying the stock market in the same manner as the political spectrum: at times incredibly interested, and at times pathetically bored. They seem to go hand-in-hand. Just when I’m completely frustrated and apathetic with the sinking economy, John McCain makes another war-mongrel comment, and my heart swells with political enthusiasm. Life’s funny like that.

Now that America’s desperate housewives have ousted Hillary’s fat ankles off the political podium, we’re back to the waiting game again. I’ve sent my money into the DNC; I even bought a bumper sticker. The only thing left to do is sit back and pray for either Republicans to get smart, or for McCain to crumble. It’s going to be a long summer.

Maybe Michelle Obama will challenge Cindy McCain to a spelling bee. That would provide some comic relief. [insert fist pound here]

Speaking of funny -- before my ultimate political boredom lapsed into a summer induced coma, the stock market barreled through with some charming summer humor.

At this point, Americans are struggling obtaining some of the most basic necessities. We can’t drive anywhere. We certainly can’t fly anywhere. We can’t buy new houses. We even found out last week that for the first time in almost two decades - the price of bananas is going up.

But if it’s one thing Americans haven’t given up on yet, it’s the power of good-old cheap, quickly made, American food. Maybe that’s why 4 out of 16 of Marketwatch’s “Stocks in Focus” are cheap restaurant or food brands.

We’re Americans! When life gives your lemons (or Bush’s oil war, a sinking economy and high gas prices) we make lemon pie! And lemon cake! And lemon pudding!

My gut tells me to trust Marketwatch – keep an eye on SONC, DRI, CKE and GIS.

I’m a skeptic; I don’t trust that Americans will vote for Obama, or that they’ll buy hybrids, or support women’s rights.

But if it’s one thing I know for sure, it’s that Americans will eat. As far as the stock market goes, I’m putting my money where my mouth is.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/stocks-focus-wednesday/story.aspx?guid=%7B2C61A506%2D9529%2D4A2E%2D91E1%2D8C3BAAD5EE08%7D&siteid=yhoof

No comments: